In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how to edit footer in wordpress site, and by footer, I mean the copyright information at the very bottom, which can be tricky to change depending on which theme you’re using.
And no matter which theme you have, there’s a couple of ways of doing it usually, and one is the theme options if your theme has theme options, or you can edit the footer directly in the editor.
how to edit footer in wordpress (3 ways)
Edit footer in wordpress, just searching for the footer.php file and click on it to open it, and all this highlighted code is part of that footer. Now you don’t want to delete all of it because there’s some functionality you might not want to delete.
1. wordpress footer widget and social links
For example, I can see that this piece of code allows you to add widgets to the footer.
If we check on the widgets menu on the under appearance, open it in a new tab.
We see that there are two footer widget areas, footer one, footer two, two different widget areas.
So if we’re just without thinking to remove this piece of code, we can’t add those witnesses anymore.
And here we have social links we can add in there.
2. how to edit footer in wordpress (remove proudly powered by)
So what we want to do is remove just that proudly powered by, and the very last thing is this footer site info, which is the last thing in that the code, so this must be the one that’s produced and proudly powered by.
//get_template_part( 'template-parts/footer/footer', 'info' );
Just going to comment that out by adding two forward slashes, click on the update file.
Generally, you don’t want to delete stuff from your PHP files in the WordPress comment stuff out because then it’s easily brought back to life later on if it ends up breaking things or if it ends up doing not what you want, so when refreshing this page, they’re proudly powered by is now gone.
//get_template_part( 'template-parts/footer/footer', 'info' ); echo "Copyright 2020 example.com | All Rights Reserved"; ?>
Copyright 2020 example.com, all rights reserved add that piece of text into the footer click on update.
Could you refresh the page, and there it is? We have our updated copyright info, and we’ve removed the proudly powered by WordPress info, and we did that right in the PHP file.
Unfortunately for some themes, you got to do it right in the PHP, and you want to be careful because you do the wrong thing, the whole site goes down.
3. wordpress change footer copyright (2 methods)
How you can change the copyright text on your WordPress website. Let’s change the copyright text first, and Now to change this text, there are two methods.
The first method is to change your theme settings using the Customize option.
2. Now click footer.
3. Click the footer bar.
4. Here you can see the copyright section. Now to change the text. First, let’s delete this default text. And now, enter the text you want. Now to save the changes, click Publish.
If we go back to the website, you can see that this is the default copyright text. Now, if we click refresh, you can see that we have changed our copyright text. So this is how you can change your copyright text on your website.
The second method of changing the copyright text is to use a plugin to change the text.
1.Let’s go to the WordPress dashboard.
2. Go to plugins and click add new.
3. Here search for visual photo credit remover, and you will get this plugin.
4. So to install the visual photo credit remover plugin, let’s click Install and then click activate.
5. Let’s go to Tools and click visual footer credit remover.
6. Here select the footer text which you want to change.
7. Once you click the text, it will be removed from here.
8. And now enter the text you want here.
9. So once you have done that, click Save. And now click, OK. And your text will be changed.
So this is how you can change your footer copyright text on your WordPress website.
So if you’re not sure what you’re doing, ask someone for help.